September 28, 2001

He Shall Rise!


No, it's not in any way ment sexually. I just needed a title, I'm the deadMAN so well, I'm rising from the dead. I guess. Sort of.

Tuesday:: I went to go check up on some of my job applications. I went to Red Robin in Puyallup, I thought it was a nice place. I enter, dressed in my nice professional Bartender type look. A waitress greets me and asks me what she could do for me. Being my "polite-I-want-a-job" self I tell her I'd like to check how my application process is going. She said that she would be right back with someone. She returns with a rather nice lady who asked me what was here for - I told her why. Then she asked what sort of experience I had, after the mention of the Bartending Academy she smiled and went to summon an even more senior staff member.

My thoughts from this point forward will be in Italics ~

Kick ass, I'm gonna get an interview right here and now. Hello Job!

An overly polite lady greets me and once again asks how she may help me. I repeat the damn polite phrase a third time, she smiles that wierd-short-toothed smile of hers and mentions that all of their bartenders worked as waiters for two years.
Holy shit lady, what the hell do I look like a damn waiter!?
Nodding my head I said "Aah, I see."
She was trying to get rid of me, I could feel it - she was being so polite it was fucking rude. She asked me if I was still interested. As I began to answer she cut me off and said " No, no I didn't think so. " - She smiled again.
I'm gonna rip that fucking smile off yer face cow!
I went on to tell her how I had spent a lot of my college money on my bartending knowledge and that I knew more than any of their waiters could in two years of serving the drinks. I smiled, turned, and walked out.
cheap cow, doesn't want to hire professional help.

I went to Kritckets on Pacific Ave. There I sat down and ordered a drink, looked around - seemed a nice place to work. I even asked the Bartender to make me a Swampwater. She didn't know what it was so I gave her the recipe. She smiled and tried to make sense of my writing ( It was written in my little black book. ) She scrunched up her face and looked at me funny. "Is it supposed to look this gross?" she asked. I smiled, said that it was supposed to look that way and gave it a try. Good stuff. After awhile of looking around and some chicken strips I payed, tipped her for the effort of making a wierd drink and began to leave. She stopped me and asked me my name - I replied ofcourse.

"Well Andy, I'm going to put your name next to this drink in my book. I wrote the recipe down just in case you come back sometime."

I chuckled to myself, said my thanks and left.
Sweet, I got my name next to a drink recipe. Andy's Drink. Fuckin-A...

Wednesday Night:: Damn James and Jeff just can't let my stupid ass win in Mario Kart. Even on the easy gimp level they have to rip victory from my grasp! I hate them. Snitches.

Thursday :: I once again got my nice clothes on and drove to the Academy in Tacoma. I was gettin depressed. The whole damn month of looking for work, specialized work and I had nothing.

Leone - the Academy owner was there that day. I hate that woman, she's just one of those people I can't stand but have to be nice to. I need the Academy's support should someone call them about me. I got the new list of places seeking Bartenders and drove around Tacoma gettin lost. Some very good chances and some not. The golf club already hired just that very day.
Friggin yuppies!

My last spot to check on for the day, Cassidy's Pub and Mini Golf on Portland Avenue. I went inside to introduce myself to the owner / manager (whatever). No application was handed to me. The lady there asked me if I was available for full time or part time.

"Whatever is needed" came out of my mouth.

She proceeded to ask me about why I had stopped my Pierce College education. I'm the honest type of guy, so I told her. After a few minutes of chatting she said,

"Okay, well I'm going to start ya off on Friday and Saturday. Part time right now from 5pm to 2:30am"
. . . . I got a job
"Great, that would be wonderful." I replied.
WTF are you saying! You're just here to inspect the place and see if you -could- work here!

She introduced me to a few of my future 'work buddies' - some huge guy named Jim. A bartender named Jamie, I think. I extended my hand in friendship and said hi. She looked at my hand and then at me. She then raised her hand in greeting.

"Okay, no hand shake." I whispered to myself.
I'm new ya nut! What kind of competition could I be !? You've been here twenty-one years!

I didn't ask what I would get payed, I don't care. My foot is in the door, I shall work my magic, dazzel them with ice and bottle work.
Walking back out to my car after a brief discussion on some minor training and proper dress for the bar I stopped briefly...
I got a job and I never really agreed that I would work here, just inquired about their position...

No comments:

Post a Comment