February 15, 2001

i am away from school, so i have time to post. my reasons behind not posting for awhile? pre-calculus. yes, I eventually passed Intergrated-3 behind someone's back and am running with the big-boys now. Interval notation and all. I have been trying to do my homework and stay on task and take notes and so on. To think, I somewhat care about a class I am in at school. Not only that - but the army/air-force have been giving me heat. As things are right now - I might join the air-force ( mind you I haven't looked into it, that's just because everyone is suggesting I do so )

but - enough about me, how about what I will soon be trying to do! I want to be a teacher, but I also want to reform the way teaching is done. A long time I've toyed around with a class-room with 'no teacher' - where students can teach themselves and so on. Soon, i will put a 'test-run' into effect. I will isolate some students in school which I dont know that much and then see if I can get them to stay after school some time in which nobody is busy ( more than likely thursday ) - and I will also put up another board for them to post comments on something we've discussed ( this will be the te-i-am board i was thinking on what to do with )

the gatherings will be mostly discussion based - probably ranging from an hour or two. I don't exactly have a 'curriculum' at the moment ( something I want to talk about ) but I am toying around with two questions : 1. what is a leader? -- the second question will consist of each person writing down the question Are you happy or sad? and having them answer the question. I hope that someone comes up with the concept that the question is limited, and that there are a wide variety of emotions or feelings that someone can feel asides from happy or sad - which will eventually branch off into why are questions so linear? - ie: one question, one answer.

I've already chosen two people to join my group, proably three - but those are people from my third period. I want to go around the school and ask people questions. Jessie and Aaron I have to think about letting in - as I know they have intelligence, I fear they'd 'take over' the class and it would just become a conversation between me and them. I'd have to talk to them and ask them Not to imply that anyone is subversive to the group. - that means not to be critical with remarks as "thats stupid." or "you're a fucking dumbass."

those of 'would-be' higher intellect tend to do that. I was toying around with the concept of letting Mike Rigney in on my group - but I quickly struck him out - as he would just turn the session into a "pay attention to mike as he spouts out more mathematical jargon that nobody understands so everyone looks up to him in awe" sort of gathering. I want to try to avoid that. Nobody should be "looked up to." Tommorrow I plan on going around my school with a "sample" question in which I will ask random people ... if they have an answer - or reply to me in a manner which I believe they could be showing signs of thought and not regurgitation then I will inform them of what i want to do some thursday - and ask them if they're interested.

yes, i know all of this sounds far fetched. but it will be a riot of a time.
it will see if ....

1 - james can organize and maintain a group/following
2 - if my ideas about how a classroom should be run, works
3 - i can learn anything else from school !
4 - .... i think that is all.

so. wish me luck. oh - and by the way : Jeff I picked up a CPR dummy head from mrs. brown that she was going to throw away. it looks real funny and i scared a lot of students at school with it - if you'd like it for some props for your "movies" then you'd have to come by and get it sometime. i saw it and immediatly thought of giving it to you. so i saved it from the trashcan.

{i dont want to hear anything about me 'giving head' |comes with eyes, two of them - the right one has to be 'fixed' however! }
that's all folks.


note : i've invited someone new ( they havent decided whether or not they wish to join ) and changed the back-log date ( the amount of days this shows ) to three, not two anymore

No comments:

Post a Comment