May 22, 2001



Postulating Regret




Ah, mental defecation, isn't it at least somewhat therapeutic? I think that's what i find most enduring about Blogger, it is can be a place of defecation and fresh thought by ridding your mind of its cognitive load, allowing for even more, and hopefully clearer thoughts. I suppose in essence then, that makes blogger a giant pile of mental feces.

I agree that school is basically designed as mental regurgitation instead of mental exercise. However, i think it has its uses...for one, it is an excellent place to observe socialization, interaction, and stupidity. Stupidity, i would argue, is actually worth its weight (if it could be weighed) in gold...especially for observing, and not only for the humour of it all. I think, though i can't explain why just yet, that observing and understanding stupidity can actually lead to a better understanding of the "human situation", and what causes people to act in ways that otherwise would be degredational. (hehe, new word.)

I think that school actually facilitated the way i currently think, though not by its curriculum. I would actually like to go back to high school, sit nondescriptly, and observe people in that environment. It would be quite the interesting social psychological/sociological thing to do. Damn...now i am really considering doing that. I can't wait till i am a researcher, which won't be for years...then i'd be able to walk into any school and say, "Yes, i am a psychologist and i want to sit here and observe your students." and i would be able to.

Anyway, enough of the school thing. I am doing social psych readings (its not on tape though, so i get to hear my own voice, or voices i have made up in my head, reading it to me) and have just finished reading on the topic of people's regrets. Oh, how interesting. If anything, it has further backed up my belief in NOT having regrets. Why am i going to regret something that i cannot have an influence on anymore? Instead, i'd rather just learn from it and move on. Some people who have regrets don't even get the lesson and continue to do things that lead to those further regrets, which is just plain redundant and self-defeating of the good part of regret. So i will just take the good part of regret (i.e. realization of the inaction to do something, or the action that lead to something unwanted) and go with it.

I think i have exhausted the need to say anything else for now.

MOnDO21

No comments:

Post a Comment