March 13, 2002

Opinion on a movie- gattaca

I was originally told the story was based off of Brave New World. Having read the book and having seen the movie - I see a slight, but almost non-existant, correlation. The movie itself can be summed up with its catchphrase :

"there is no gene for the human spirit"


I enjoy the movie from two aspects.
The first - is that the " perfect " man in which he steals the identity of. There is a part where he states : " I wasnt drunk when I stepped in front of that car, I was the most sober I've ever been in my entire life " - or something to the same extent. It is also stated " He may have been perfect and had been born for Gattaca, but he wasnt born with the will or want to do so. "

I love it.
The concept that true perfection makes one apathetic.
The concept that being able to do almost anything would make one ...
lackluster. lose interest. why bother. hum drum. boring.
It was the life they told me I would be living, being gifted.
It was the life I've specifically attempted, and successfully, avoided.

the second part.
Is the main character. Almost as in " Cats dont dance " with the cat who dances, He is told from every turn of the story " YOU CANNOT DO THIS " " THIS CANNOT BE DONE " - and he proceeds to do so. Proceeds to shove it down their god-damned throats that it can be done and he will accomplish that what he sets out to do.

Damn. I love it.
Im going to have to buy the film I love it so much.
Oh. and another good part :
" You want to know how I did it?
I never saved anything for the swim back. "

Hell yeah.
I understand one hundred percent.
definately a movie I have to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment