January 18, 2001

[Unemployment and Naps]

In case some of you didn't know, i am unemployed right now. (Actually, you all probably don't care either, but i'll ignore that strong possibility.) I used to work in the same evil store that Jimmy works in...Target. Just hearing that name makes me shudder and want to crawl into the fetal position and die. Why? Because Target is evil. And if you don't believe me, just ask Jimmy. Anyone who works there has stories to tell. Mostly of our gay Australian boss, Roger. You should hear him talk. Actually, if you want to hear a conversation i had with him, just email me. I am working on a way of making it into an mp3, but i haven't figured that part out yet. This isn't to say that there is or isn't anything wrong with being gay. That's more of your own personal choice, and if you have a craving for buttsex...i won't mention any names.

Anyway...that's not the only reason why Target is evil, but for time's sake, i won't go into all those reasons, at least not today. I'll save that tirade for a special occasion. The point i was eventually going to get to was that having not been working for the past couple of weeks has been liberating, not only on the body, but on the mind as well. I can understand now why james has been so reluctant to get a job. Going to college has been much more enjoyable then walking around the tainted halls of Target, shelving random objects, from Hotwheels, to the ever popular George Foreman Grill, (Does anybody know how to do that little TM thing, so that i don't get sued for mentioning George Foreman?) or helping unknown nuclear holocaust victims who don't know how to read a price off of the shelf label, and instead would rather waste a good twenty minutes of your time not believing that the first price you told them was indeed the price after all. I feel like my life isn't wasting away, but that i actually have a purpose. I guess for awhile i had a fear that i'd end up like Warren.

Warren is an interesting case. He is about middle age and works at Target. I don't know when he started, but i figure that it was a good while ago. I bet when he was young he didn't think he'd have to work for Target. Poor, poor Warren.

Anyway, back to what i was saying. I realized today that there was also another reason why i have been in such a great mood since i stopped working for Target. I actually get sleep. When i used to work for them, i'd get like 4 hours of sleep on quite a few days. I became a walking zombie, put on earth to walk around putting things that i couldn't even fathom buying, onto a shelf for people who really didn't need these items, but would buy them anyway because they were in Sunday's ad. Now though, not only do i get as much sleep as i want, which i like to get at least a good eight hours, but i also can take a nap. A nap!!! Before, i would survive on only naps, so to me, they weren't really naps. Some days, i wouldn't even really know where i was. Those were actually the better days. At least that way i wasn't confronted with the horrible truth that i might never escape Target. I dread summer, for i may have to return to Target. Of course, lately i've been thinking of taking summer courses here. Who knows.

Don't get me wrong though, Target isn't all that bad. They have really strong mints. MINT!

No comments:

Post a Comment