January 22, 2001

Jimmy, it seems that maybe we had a minor misunderstanding. When I said "that list is bullshit," I was not making reference to your list, but that thing about rapists.

Your list is totally acceptable, even though I dislike some (quite a few) of the artists on there, I still must respect them as being better than SP. And your latest defenses of your list are much better musical commentary than I would have given you credit for.

I agree fully that those who a) listen to/like the music that is popular today and b) call stuff like Nirvana, Soundgarden, the Dead (no need to put "Grateful" in front of there Jimmy-if you don’t know them as "the Dead" then you simply don’t know music) or any of the other bands, have their heads up their asses.

I love people who talk shit about music from the late Sixties/early Nineties-and then go on to say something exhorting limp bizkit or what have you, just proving that they are fools. The music of today is a product of what came before it, and there is no way in hell you can tell me that britney spears has any stunning social commentary to make. Unlike, say, Buffalo Springfield’s "For What It’s Worth." (by the way, watching Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young sing that last year was----for lack of a better word, thoroughly amazing) I think Rage Against the Machine is about the only thing on the scene today to come anywhere near the messages in the music of our parent’s generation. (although "Renegades of Funk" doesn’t seem to have any message)

Anyway, enough of that rant for now, time for work.

"Think about it"

No comments:

Post a Comment