August 30, 2002

Wow.
Aaron, you hit the nail on the head, and found something you, Steven and I all agree with.

Saying that rappers like Eminem and Tupac have no talent is being deaf to the art simply because you don't like it. All you have to do is pay attention to the lyrics, the way they lay down the rhythms, etc. Once you listen to enough of it, it becomes clear the talent gap that exists between good rap and everything else in the genre.

The same can be said for country. I don't like country, but I do recognize the talent needed, and that there is the same division of talent there as in all music. That doesn't make me want to listen to it....except the older stuff, like Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash. In fact, the lyrics to one of Cash's most famous songs, "A Boy Named Sue," were written by none other than Shel Silverstein.

Early OT sucks. I should've turned it down.....

No comments:

Post a Comment