February 21, 2002

not mud, what is your problem with those of us observing Lent? You have no faith in this religion and practice, nor do many of us who are participating in this Lent activity, so what is all the rage about? It is not as if we are making a mockery of something important to you.

I perused the internet and found some items that may be of interest to you regarding Lent. They are all from Catholic websites.

Lent is a season of soul-searching and repentance. It is a season for reflection and taking stock. Lent originated in the very earliest days of the Church as a preparatory time for Easter, when the faithful rededicated themselves and when converts were instructed in the faith and prepared for baptism. By observing the forty days of Lent, the individual Christian imitates Jesus’ withdrawal into the wilderness for forty days.
by Ken Collins, KenCollins.com
[Imitating Jesus' withdrawal into the wilderness, not imitating the anguish of being nailed to a cross.]


In Lent, it's traditional to give up something(s) that we do a lot of and that we find pleasure in. This 'giving up' is done as a discipline, as a reminder of Christ's sufferings and what our true pleasures are as followers of Christ, and as an act of sorrow over our sin. Sometimes we don't notice how certain things we do have gained power over us and dictate our actions. In Lent, we discover these things and give them up so that God can be in charge.
[Not only do I swear a lot, but I do quite enjoy it. Same goes for sweets. It is a reminder of suffering, not a parallel of the suffering.]


Q: What are appropriate activities for ordinary days during Lent?

A: Giving up something we enjoy for Lent, doing of physical or spiritual acts of mercy for others, prayer, fasting, abstinence, going to confession, and other acts expressing repentance in general.
[I gave up two things that I enjoy.]

No, I am not jumping on the Christian bandwagon, nor do I aspire to be a good Catholic. I celebrate Christmas and I am not a Christian. I celebrate my husband's birthday and it is not my birthday. I have participated in Rosh Hashanah and I am not a Jew. Sometimes we do things because they make us a more well-rounded person or a better person.

PS If you consumed only bread and water you would get scurvy. But I bet you would like that because it would cause the suffering you so seem to wants us to endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment