June 12, 2008

Oh, hello there.

Slugs, eh?

...

It's been a while, since these parts have seen the kind of action they've seen lately. But, uh, it seems most of what's been happening (or, at least, what I catch in the email updates I get) has been talking about the old board.

Ok, wow. Nostalgia. Awesome.


Anyway, I'd like to go on record as saying it doesn't fucking matter why the old board withered away.

Aside from that, it's been a long, um, half-decade since I've seen many of the old folks.

How about a post from everyone with a little four-w action (where, what, why, how) about your life? I'll go first:




I found my way to Pilchuck Glass School in 2003, and it worked, so I went back in 2004. Learned a shit-tonne, made a lot of strong, life-long friendships, and didn't get to go back.

For the next two years, I spent my free time in Eugene, working in the Eugene Glass School and University of Oregon hot shops with my good friend Jason Harris, among many others.

In the fall of 2006, our merry band of glass junkies started trickling out to Maui, where Jason and longtime friend Bobby Smith had been assembling a world-class glassblowing studio. April, July and December of 2007 saw me on the island, helping put together a few last details and make a fair amount of interesting glass art.

April 2 of this year, I quit the school system, packed what little shit I need (eight boxes and two suitcases), and got on a plane to my new, tropical home: Haiku, Maui.

In the past two months, I've learned much about life, glass, culture and myself. I've grown a great deal personally, and (here comes that word) as an artist.

Tomorrow, I get on a plane to return to the damn-it's-cold northwest.


Oh, and I've been relating little bits of life and such over at my little website, BAMFglass.com

There are pictures. Most are blurry and/or out of focus.


The purpose of my return, though, is a little more ...merry. Da Factory (my actual home, as it seems) is throwing a wee little party, to honor Ken Kesey, the Merry Pranksters and Furthur. Furthur will be there, as will a lot of original and second-generation Pranksters. Da Factory's team (which includes me) will be making an over-the-top glass sculpture.

More info is on my site, and on Da Factory's homepage

Anybody with an appreciation for Kesey, the Pranksters, the "psychedelic" counter-culture or the "psychedelic experience" should plan on attending.




There you have it. Not too hard, for author or readers. I was considering hyperlinking it all wiki-style (like the press release), but you all know how to use google.

No comments:

Post a Comment