October 31, 2003

[ people at shari's know me ]

I've said it time and time again, but a bit ago the saying was eclipsed by something I'd never thought could happen. After a part where me and Adam seemed to be the only heterosexual people present - we went to shari's to enjoy ourselves some fine ( not fine ) dining. We walked in and the cook seated us - we chatted to him for awhile. Then the waitress came by and saw us - she saw me and asked me if I wanted 'the usual' I said yep - and then she took Adam's order. The cook then casually went off to do exactly what his name implies : cook.

Soon later ( you'd be surprised how fast your order is done when you're the only people in the resturant ) - we get our food and I notice that I had FOUR pieces of bacon - bonus I figured. Adam, although he didnt notice because he was so bloody well drunk - had extra chicken in his chicken-sammich as well. Anywho - halfway through our meal the cook comes by to chat some more, since nobody else is here. He tells us that he enjoyed talking with us, and thats why we got the uber-bonus foodstuffs.

Eventually I get to blathering and I said that a friend of mine wanted to be a cook - mostly because he could travel around the world that way. He said he'd go to little dink resturants, not like sharis or syndicated places - but like " Ma's place " and a place that was on the way to Pierce College in Tacoma. The cook then asked me the name of the place, which I couldn't recall. After awhile he asked me for directions, which I hap hazardly gave him. He eventually told me the name of the place was ( ) - and I was surprised he knew.

He then told me that he grew up in Steliacom. This is where the story gets a bit crazy. So I tell him " Yeah my grandparents live in Steliacom " and he says " oh whereabouts? " and I say " Over a bridge next to a rocky beach " - and he says the name of the place my grandparents live ( also cannot remember the name of ) - and Im like " wow man, you're good " - and he says " do they still live there? " and I say " oh yeah - you probably even know of them - they run a poodle salon and live in a motor home " - and he says " oh shit, with that big ol' pink poodle van thats been sitting in one spot for more than thirty years? " and I say " yeup, thats them " and he says " I use to mow their yard " and I say " Yeah I know that yard - I use to come up from texas and there was this huge ditch in their backyard I use to play in " - and this is where he stops and looks at me funny for a moment.

Im, in my head, saying to myself : " Oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit im going to be identified oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit "

and he says : " Waiiit - you know the twins who use to live down that road? "
and I say : " Yeah Aimee and Erin " ( my cousins )
and at the exact same time we both say " Yeah, they're my cousins. "

both of us go silent at the same time and then he says :

"You're little jimmy from texas! We use to play ball with Aimee and Erin when you came up from texas and your grandma would always call you " little jimmy from texas "

We then got to talking about how one of the twins is now a mother. And where they live now - and he told me that when I was seven he was like fifteen - that puts him in his thirties or so. I will be damned. That was a crazy evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment