August 05, 2004

High school sucked for me because I made it suck. I slacked off, played games instead of studying for a test, read philosophy in class, hated the teachers because they could not answer questions, and the lovely times of having people threaten to kick my ass for some menial offense. It sure was a terrible time: having a girlfriend play the "oh gee, I'm pregnant" game with me. Slowly though, after dropping out and working at CBC with James, I decided to get out and not stay stagnant in such a place. I'll be back in a year and a half by the way [if all goes accordingly], so get the booze ready for my return--speaking of which, I turn 21 next month.

I'd have to agree with you there Bradbury. I see a lot of people come into work with the most vacant expressions--probably from a most recent drug or alcohol binger--who are going to one of the most expensive schools in the nation. I also go to class with a lot of people who don't give a shit about the education they're receiving; even though it is just a community college--education nonetheless.

America just approaches higher education in such a way that it diverts attention away from the actual "education" aspect and directs it to the post education: the higher paying job than the average joe. Everyday, as I walk through my school, I am confronted with the "Career Center will get you where you want to be" bullshit, and also, majoring in Philosophy always gets me "So instead of asking 'would you fries with that?' You'll be asking 'should you get fries with that?'" People ask me what I'm going to do with the major and I say, "Anything I want." I'm not going to get a college education to get a better job--the most superficial way of looking at education. I'm in college to learn, not to get a job. I know eventually when I graduate I'll be working as a professor; so after paying over 100k on school, lets think of how fun it's going to be to pay that back with a menial 27k [at most] a year salary as a college or high school professor to start. So, actually, I'm in college also to avoid the impending doom that this nation has put over my head due to the deficit, the money going to the war instead of going to education, and the overall unsupported education system.

I personally think that if we take the focus off a career from the beginning--when they drill it to us in elementary to the later years of high school when they want you to choose what you want to be--and put it into actually learning and making something better of yourself and getting to know the world we live in, I'm sure the turn over rate for college drop outs and unappreciative college students will be dramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment